Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Ultimate Workout


I was home alone today. While I was preparing lunch, I had the Olympic rhythmic gymnastic competition on the television. I decided I would copy the girls’ entrance. I walked on tiptoe across the room and waved at my audience of zero. It’s harder than it looks! (No, I didn’t copy any more. The entrance was enough for me!)

I heard once that the ultimate workout is to follow your toddler around and mimic all his movements. If I had done that with my kids, I wouldn’t have lasted an hour!

I thought of the Virtuous Woman. (I know what you’re thinking. How did Lou Ann get from rhythmic gymnastics to mimicking toddlers to the Virtuous Woman? Hang with me.) Maybe the Virtuous Woman was copying her toddler; I don’t know, but the Bible says She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms (Proverbs 31:17). She was working out somehow! If you read the whole chapter, she did do a lot of work—planting and tending a vineyard, weaving cloth, making girdles (sewing or weaving), cooking, etc. She makes me tired every time I read that chapter!

The best thing about the Virtuous Woman isn’t that she is strong physically. It’s her inner strength, something that actually is described as her “clothing.” Strength and honour are her clothing (v. 25a). It sounds like her workout included a lot more than her arms. It included her spirit.

There’s more: She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness. She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness. Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her. Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all (vs. 26-29).

Where does wisdom come from? From the fear of the Lord. Kindness? From obeying the biblical command, be ye kind one to another. Who is her first priority? Her family—husband and children.

The ultimate workout? Working on one’s spirit, one’s relationship with God, one’s Scriptural priorities.

Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised.

1 comment:

  1. Great parallels to working on one's spirit. And - I would love to have seen you make your grand entrance -- I'm sure you were every bit as graceful as our own little Gabby Douglas (:

    I like your other pieces about the Olympics too. God bless you, sister!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts.