Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

To Be "In Christ"

Photo by; Stoonn


Believing and accepting Christ, repentance: those are the grafting. We are put on the Vine by grafting in. This involves cutting and joining and a bandaging.

We start to flow with new sap, new life in an old branch.

The gospel of John, chapter 15 has some profound meanings in simple words. (That’s how Jesus taught—with simple words, full of Divine meaning.) Let’s look at His teaching about our relationship to Him, in the Vine.

I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples. As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father’s commandments, and abide in his love. These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full (John 15:1-11).

Some main points are:
  • The difference between being withered, pruned, and thrown away and being left to grow and thrive is whether or not we bear fruit.
  • We can only bear fruit if we abide in the Vine and if the Vine’s Words abide in us.
  • God is glorified—the whole purpose of man—when we bear fruit.
  • A true disciple bears fruit.
  • Jesus loves us as much as God loves Him. We’re to abide in this love.
  • Jesus taught us these things so that we might have lasting, full joy.



These are profound thoughts!

It seems that this passage is teaching two things:
  1. Abiding is actually what it says: staying with, having a close relationship with. We abide with Christ, and His life enables us to bring forth fruit.
  2. Fruit bearing is the Holy Spirit working in and through us. The fruit of the Spirit is described in Galatians 5:22-23, But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. 


Our nephew Josh shared these verses. They go so perfectly with the idea of the Vine and the branches: As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him: Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving (Colossians 2:6-7).
  • Established in the faith
  • Rooted and built up in Christ
  • Walking in the Lord
  • Abounding (Literally: exceeding the measure; overflowing)



How are we doing? Can people tell by our fruit where we’re grafted? Are we rooted and established? Are we overflowing?

This verse expresses the goal of the believer in Christ:

Being filled with the fruits of righteousness,
which are by Jesus Christ,
unto the glory and praise of God (Philippians 1:11).

Amen!

4 comments:

  1. Rooted is such a great word. It brings images to my mind. I can picture the roots of my heart reaching out toward Christ, burying the threats of my desires and struggles in Him. He's the solid ground I want to be built on!
    Thanks for this reminder today. Perfect timing for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise the Lord! I am glad to hear this. I was thinking about "abounding" with fruit. A cool idea--all because we're rooted. Thank you for your comment, April.

      Delete
  2. I love your blog, Lou Ann! It is so refreshing and such an encouragement to me. I needed this post this morning. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit, Carole! I appreciate your comment. God bless!

      Delete

Please share your thoughts.