Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Non-fiction Reviews: The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert, Biking Across America

Photo by: Apolonia

The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert by Rosaria Butterfield is a book I really wanted to read, since I’ve worked with several women with some of the same issues that Rosaria had before she met the Lord. She was a lesbian college professor, very involved in promoting LGBT ideals. She had lots of friends and much influence. When she began a project to look into the evangelical mindset, she met Pastor Ken Smith and his wife. She says, “Had a pastor . . . not shared the gospel with me for years and years, over and over again, not in some used-car salesman way, but in an organic, spontaneous and compassionate way, those questions might still be lodged in the crevices of my mind, and I might never have met the most unlikely of friends, Jesus Christ himself.” Her testimony is eloquent and at the same time sweet. Now married to a pastor and mother to adopted children, it’s plain to see that her life has completely changed.

The only problem I had with this book is its theology. She makes two statements I cannot accept. (If you want to know more, ask me.) It was an amazing read overall and a blessing to see how Christ can completely transform thoughts, attitudes, and lives. I love that Rosaria continues to reach out to her old friends. She’s also a very popular speaker today in evangelical circles. I thoroughly enjoyed reading Rosaria’s testimony, and I believe you will, too.


Biking Across America by Paul Stutzman is a wonderful book. If you love people, stories about people challenging themselves, a strong Christian testimony about God’s goodness, and how a man reaches out to others God puts in his path, you will love this book! Paul Stutzman lost his wife to cancer. His first book, Hiking Through: One Man’s Journey to Peace and Freedom on the Appalachian Trail, chronicles his first big adventure. Biking Across America is the second. I read the second one first and liked it so much I bought his other book. There is much to love about Paul’s adventures! I loved the tone and the strong desire he has to share Christ with people. It was really amazing to see how God opened doors for him to share his life story and later in the conversation, his faith. Loved it! I'm reading his first book now. I totally recommend Biking Across America. Inspiring.
  

4 comments:

  1. The first one was one of my favorite books last year. I'm trying to think what she would have said that you disagreed with theologically, but it has probably been too long for me to remember. I did look back at my own review (http://barbarah.wordpress.com/2013/03/07/book-review-the-secret-thoughts-of-an-unlikely-convert/) to see if I had mentioned disagreeing with anything, but I had only noted that she is in a Reformed church and I disagreed with some things there. Overall I thought the book was highly valuable for saved and unsaved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara. Yes, I loved it and would recommend it for any discerning reader. :o)

      Delete
  2. Thank you Lou Ann for these intriguing reviews. I'm going to have to keep these in mind to read in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will LOVE both books! Thank you for your comment and congratulations on your new award for God, Me, and Sweet Ice Tea!

      Delete

Please share your thoughts.