Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Are There Nurseries in Heaven?


Photo: imagerymajestic at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Last year was a difficult year for us as a family. Two of our little grandchildren went to heaven before they were born. I also have a sibling there, a niece or nephew there, and a great-niece or nephew. Many of my friends have suffered the loss of an unborn child, including two friends who lost twins, and some who’ve lost as many as four.

As we know from the Bible, babies who die go to heaven. Where do we get this?

  • The classic passage is 2 Samuel 12:23, which is the story of the death of David’s son (from his sin with Bathsheba). David is speaking: But now he is dead, wherefore should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me.
  • Job is bemoaning the day of his birth because he is suffering so acutely. This is what Job says: Why died I not from the womb? Why did I not give up the ghost when I came out of the belly? For now should I have lain still and been quiet, I should have slept: then had I been at rest (Job 3:11, 13).
  • When Jesus said, But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven (Matthew 19:14), could He have been including babies? (The Greek word for children, used in this verse, is paidion, which means “small children and infants.”*)
  • God is good. It’s one of His attributes. (Mark 10:18) If condemnation comes to those who reject Christ (John 3:18), it only makes sense that God takes to heaven those who aren’t able to make any choice. I firmly believe this includes those with severe handicaps as well as all little children. It’s consistent with God’s fairness. (Revelation 15:3)

A friend and I were talking not too long ago about babies in heaven, wondering if those who are unborn and have passed away (included all aborted babies) and all the little ones who die after birth are tiny babies in heaven? If so, are there “nurseries” in heaven?

I have no idea, of course. It’s wonderful to think about meeting my sibling and two grandchildren when I get there. I believe I will know them because King David said, I shall go to him.

When we go to heaven—at any age—we can’t go there with a flesh and blood body. Jesus promised believers a glorified body, similar to His resurrected body. Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself (Philippians 3:21). What was Jesus’ body like?

  • It went through closed walls/doors. Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you (John 20:19). And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you (John 20:26).
  • It appeared and disappeared. And their eyes were opened, and they knew him; and he vanished out of their sight (Luke 24:31).
  • It could be touched. Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have (Luke 24:39).

So, what do babies in heaven look like? Do they remain tiny, or are they the children they would have been? Or, is everyone an adult in heaven?

How will we recognize those who have gone before? How will we know the Apostle Paul, for example? Or Luke, or Abraham? (The rich man who died—not a parable—knew Abraham.** Why shouldn’t we?)

Will our very old relatives who’ve gone before still have wrinkles? (I don’t think so, since it’s a perfect world, and our bodies are glorified. No Botox needed!)

Are there nurseries in heaven?

We don’t know.

But, isn’t it wonderful to know we’ll see those little people who’ve gone before? What a blessing!

How can we be sure we’ll go to heaven?

  • But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name. (John 1:12)
  • For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life (John 3:16).
  • These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God (1 John 5:13).
I’m looking forward to meeting some very special little people!

What do you think about the millions of babies in heaven? Are there nurseries up there? Any ideas?

__________________________

* Online Bible.
** Luke 16:19-31.
  

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the Scriptures about "babies in heaven." I was familiar with David's story (and insight) and had shared that specific verse with others. The Job 3:11,13 (in this regard) was a new perspective. And yes, I tend to think there will be nurseries in heaven because there is nothing comparable to holding a baby. The process melts hearts and gives hope here on earth. Imagine how it would feel in heaven. (O.K. - Not a technical explanation for why, but I like the idea! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea, too. I guess we'll find out when we get there--in a place of joy and perfection. Thank you for your thoughts, Snowdrops. God bless you!

      Delete

Please share your thoughts.