Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Having a Hard Time Being Thankful?


Thirty Days of Thankfulness. Thirty “I’m Thankful for You” Notes for your husband. Thankful lists. Thanksgiving here and there.

Is this hard?

I’ll be transparent. This year, every time I start to praise God—for Who He is, for what I’m thankful for, for . . . anything—I’m distracted. I find it hard to concentrate. The phone rings. There’s something I have to do. The distractions in my mind happen every single time I try to be thankful, even in the middle of the night.

Why is it so hard to be thankful?

Maybe I need to write stuff down. No, that would take up time—and paper. (The ecologist in me comes out when I get frustrated!)

Maybe I need to give little notes to my husband every day. (He’d think that was goofy. I really believe those little notes are mostly for women, because that’s what we’d like. Husbands are perfectly happy with hugs, kisses, and sincere verbal thanks for all they do.)

Maybe I need to concentrate more. (No doubt, but I’m finding it hard.)

The solution?

Thank God using His Words. It really works!

As you read through these verses, thank God in your heart. You’ll be blessed as you praise our great God.
  • I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high (Psalm 7:17).
  • I will praise thee, O LORD, with my whole heart; I will shew forth all thy marvellous works (Psalm 9:1).
  • Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name; worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness (Psalm 29:2).
  • Praise the LORD with harp: sing unto him with the psaltery and an instrument of ten strings (Psalm 33:2).
  • I will give thee thanks in the great congregation: I will praise thee among much people (Psalm 35:18).
  • I will praise thee for ever, because thou hast done it: and I will wait on thy name; for it is good before thy saints (Psalm 52:9).
  • I will praise thee, O Lord, among the people: I will sing unto thee among the nations (Psalm 57:9).
  • Sing forth the honour of his name: make his praise glorious (Psalm 66:2). 
  • I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify him with thanksgiving (Psalm 69:30).
  • I will praise thee, O Lord my God, with all my heart: and I will glorify thy name for evermore (Psalm 86:12).
  • Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms (Psalm 95:2).
  • Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands. Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name (Psalm 100:1, 4).
  • This shall be written for the generation to come: and the people which shall be created shall praise the LORD (Psalm 102:18).
  • Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men! And let them sacrifice the sacrifices of thanksgiving, and declare his works with rejoicing (Psalm 107:8, 22).
  • I will praise thee: for thou hast heard me, and art become my salvation. Thou art my God, and I will praise thee: thou art my God, I will exalt thee (Psalm 118:21, 28).
  • I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments (Psalm 119:7).
  • I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well (Psalm 139:14).
  • Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD (Psalm 150:6).
  • And in that day shall ye say, Praise the LORD, call upon his name, declare his doings among the people, make mention that his name is exalted (Isaiah 12:4).
  • And again, Praise the Lord, all ye Gentiles; and laud him, all ye people (Romans 15:11).
  • Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving (Colossians 2:7).
  • I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men (1 Timothy 2:1).
  • By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name (Hebrews 13:15).
  • Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created (Revelation 4:11).
  • Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing (Revelation 5:12).
  • Saying, Amen: Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and honour, and power, and might, be unto our God for ever and ever. Amen (Revelation 7:12). 

These Bible verses only skim the surface. There are many more expressions of praise and thanksgiving in the Bible. Read Psalms 118 and 136 for starters! When you find it hard to praise, read the Word. God will fill your heart to overflowing.

Let’s make this Thanksgiving a real thanksgiving.
Let’s praise God!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts.