Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, January 8, 2016

My Favorite Bible Verse


Faithful is he that calleth you, 
who also will do it (1 Thessalonians 5:24).

I chose this verse as my “life verse” back in high school, probably because it reminded me of what I needed most at the time. And ever since, it’s been the verse that encourages me and gives me strength.

I love that the whole emphasis is on God doing it. He’s the One with the power. He’s the Doer. He’s faithful. I’m sure you’re familiar with the old hymn “Great is Thy Faithfulness.” It’s based on the truth found in Lamentations 3:22-23, It is of the LORD’S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.

God’s calling. At the time I chose 1 Thessalonians 5:24, my calling was to be the best daughter and student I could be. A few short years later, when I was seventeen, I gave my life to the Lord completely. I surrendered my will and my plans to the amazing God of the universe. And, I asked God to send me.

He did. He sent me to Spain, where our family has served for over 31 years. But my calling was more than a missionary calling. It was a calling to do God’s will, to learn about Him, to walk with Him, to love Him. It has been amazing!

Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it means that whatever God sets before me, He is able to do for me. It has been so true. I remember times when I needed to teach or speak, and I was very sick that day. Sometimes, I didn’t even have a voice. I would pray to the Lord, “You know I can’t do this, so if you want anything done, please do it.” I can’t describe how wonderful it is to begin to speak and watch God do something “impossible” using you. When the task was totally beyond me, He did it. When I was asked to do hard things, God enabled me to do them. He is faithful. He gets the glory. Afterwards, I worshipped and praised Him in awe.

Has God called you? If you know Him, He has.

Has God shown you His strength in your weakness? The Apostle Paul said, And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me (2 Corinthians 12:9).

What’s your favorite Bible verse? How has it encouraged you? Please share!

Faithful is he that calleth you, 
who also will do it.
(1 Thessalonians 5:24)


4 comments:

  1. That's one of my favorites, too! I also like Col. 1:10 - "Walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God." I think it sums up the Christian life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does really sum up the Christian life! Thanks so much for sharing! God bless you!

      Delete
  2. Hi Lou Ann! Yours is a great a comforting verse! Mine is Is. 41:10 Fear thou not, for I am with thee, be not dismayed, for I am thy God:I will strengthen thee, yea I will help thee, yea, I will uphold thee withe right hand of my righteousness. Right now, my mission is being a full time caretaker for my 88 year old dad. I have no idea what what the Lord's plans for me after this. I am surrendered to going and serving wherever and however He wants me to. Thank you so much for all your encouraging posts! They bless me so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your favorite verse. I LOVE those "fear not" verses. This one is powerful. God bless you as you care for your dear father. I know you will lean on the Lord for His strength as you honor your dad.

      Delete

Please share your thoughts.